Sunday, September 25, 2011

The race that wasn't and exploring where I live

Last evening I packed my race bag.  I went to bed ready to go.  The weather was improving.  But when 5:10 came this morning I woke up to an upset system.  I only had 20 minutes to decide if it was going to work or not and in the end I decided I just needed to get back into bed and go on a solo run at a more reasonable hour.  I had not preregistered so I was not out any money and I didn't have to drive the hour down there and then an hour back after running 13 miles.

When I went out on my own at 9 I said I was going out for an undetermined amount of time.  I was set on a long run, but I did not want to do my straight up 13 miles on the bike path.  So I veered off and said I would shoot for 2:15 run time and see how far I had gone later.  To say that I ran down roads never taken would be an understatement.  I saw some beautiful houses and inlets as I checked out one dead end road after another just to see what was down them.  There are some really lucky folks in Rhode Island with some amazing water views.  It was a beautiful run.  I think in the end I went around 12 miles.  I didn't get a great medal at the end, but I was home and I was able to head right back out with the girls and go swimming at the Y.  We stopped at the local bakery afterward for pizza stripes also known as bakery pizza.  It is just crust and red sauce served cold.  It is a staple of kids birthday parties in RI.

Where did you run this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment