Tuesday, May 10, 2016

RunDisney Volunteering - Never Land 5k


This year's runDisney races are all about new experiences for me! New-to-me and inaugural race weekends that bring new courses and new run fun! 

I registered relatively late for Tink Half Marathon weekend! In fact only the half was still open. I made the choice to try and volunteer rather than buy 5k and 10k bibs from a travel agent. Luckily I bought into this weekend before volunteer registration opened. I was able to pick up a shift for both early morning races. I did not realize how early they would be however.


On Fiday I was up at 1:15 and waiting in the volunteer line at Frontieer Tower at the Disneyland Hotel by 2 am! Everyone was surprisingly awake. In fact they had to try and keep us quiet. Caution volunteers: guests sleeping overhead! 

At checkin they assigned us our tasks for the morning. The community groups were assigned to water and food stations. The unaffiliated volunteers who showed up early were assigned to medals! I was both and as a result one happy volunteer! 


The volunteers unwrap and hange all the medals the morning of the event. The plastic medals are significantly easier. They are not bubble wrapped and they are light weight. Plus out of all 3 days we had the fewest number to unwrap. 



It was really amazing to be in the finish line area as everyone came across! I snapped a few pictures here and there, and finishers snapped a few pictures of their own. Mostly we were just sharing in the runners magic one medal at a time. I got to give a few of you your medals personally (which was amazing) and I got to check out so many costumes and race outfits. Best of all I got to look into the faces of the runners and see first hand what the experience meant to each of them! 


The winner of the Never Land 5k - Kellie Nickerson -
checking out her medal after a fast flying trip through the parks! 

My runDisney volunteer and friend Paula Kim!
In a roll reversal I got to volunteer for her race! (Thanks for the picture Paula)


The @RunAllTheRaces ladies!
(Gail Savidge far left and Kimberly Markey far right)


It was an amazing experience all around. 4000+ runners finished so quickly! After the last runner received her medal we set about closing down the medal station. Each medal had to be accounted for and bundled back up for safe keeping. 

Once our morning task was complete I headed straight for a warm breakfast and a nap! A fun afternoon lay ahead followed by another volunteer shift at the 10k









No comments:

Post a Comment