Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day

So my eldest has been very tuned into the eleventh minute, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, of the eleventh year for a couple of months now.  She was not sure how she wanted to mark its passing, but she wanted to be at home.  So as the minute approached she had not quite decided what she was going to do to mark the occasion.  I of course said she should mark it with a show of love, like hugging her sister.  She declined.  In the end one minute before the moment she grabbed bells and she and her sister stood in the kitchen ringing them.  I though it was a fitting way to honor our veterans and the end of the war that should have ended all war.

As I ran this evening I tallied all of the service men and women in my family.  I was surprised as I thought of more and more who have and are serving in the Army, the Navy, and the Coast Guard.  I have never really focused on it the way I did during my run tonight.  I don't think I have ever though quite as much about Veteran's Day as I did today either (thanks to my daughter and all of those 11s).  I am hoping that my young cousin, who is in the Army right now, will be greeted by a more grateful country when the time comes for her to leave the service.  Anyway, be grateful for their service and honor them in your thoughts and actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment