Monday, June 23, 2014

My Wine Dine Half v Tara's 5 Common Mistakes

My Wine & Dine Half response to Diet Diva Tara's "5 COMMON RACE DAY NUTRITION MISTAKES" post on the runDisney blog.


This is how I tackled my first Wine & Dine Half.  It is what seemed right to me.  I am not recommending this method for anyone else. That said, you should think through all of Tara's points.  

Now on to the match up!

"1. Skipping pre-race meal or not fueling enough."


I ate a half bowl of pasta at Art of Animation around 5 pm. Plenty of time to digest and fuel in my system. It did have Alfredo on it which brings us to Tara's no 2.

"2. Fat overload the night before." (or the day of in this case)

She did warn about it the night before. I opted for the Alfredo rather than red sauce, because I wanted to avoid the acid.  I did pick a 1/2 and 1/2 mix though adding pesto to the mix. I went with the "if my belly is happy" it will be fine approach.

"3. Eating something new."

She included carbonated beverages with this. I had never drank a soda before a race, but I drank 1/2 a Coke before the Wine & Dine Half. I was falling asleep. I was a little worried that it would dehydrate me so I kept close tabs on water intake. I really needed the sugar/caffeine kick. It worked out great for me. I abandoned half a bottle on the side of the start corral. Overdoing a good thing can be a bad thing.

"4. Only drinking water."

I do only drink water.  I make up for it with my Cliff Shot Blocks.  Margaritas only for me please.  The extra sodium is an asset! I get sick drinking the sports drinks on the course. This works out much better for me.  I take a block every 2 miles or 20 minutes along with water.

"5. Not eating after the race."

Not possible with the Epcot Food & Wine Festival after-party until 4 am! Bratwurst in Germany followed by a Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar did the trick. I also snacked on my post-race fuel box and enjoyed my complimentary glass of wine!  

Again this is just how I tackled my first Wine & Dine Half.  It is what seemed right to me.  I am not recommending this method for anyone else.  

If you have any questions or comments for Tara, 
you can tweet her @DietDivaTara.

Oh yes I did! I raced as a Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar! I had to have one post race!

No comments:

Post a Comment